6.08.2005

Solitaire

I was playing Solitaire on my Pocket PC* recently when I drew the attention of a local moron riding the train next to me. He was watching me play over my shoulder. And not only is that annoying, but...playing solitaire is sad enough, but electing to become a solitaire spectator? That is a special flavor of bored.

Anyway, It was clear that he had a question/comment. Finally, he worked up the nerve to ask me, "Can you cheat?"

"What?" I said."

"At solitaire. Can you cheat on that thing?"

"Why?" I asked.

"So you could win."

I didn't answer, but all I could think was this: I'm playing solitaire. Haven't I already lost?


*I know that they are normally used for personal organization, but it doesn't take a lot of effort to organize oneself when one has as little going on as I do. Scheduling for me goes like this:

"So, Jeff, are you busy on the 23rd of---?"
"No."
"But I didn't tell you which month."
"Go ahead, if you want to."
"July."
"Nope."
"What about on the--?"
"Let me just stop you right there. No. I'm free that day. I'm sure of it."

No comments: