3.03.2005

Subway PSA re: Animal Cruelty

I saw this one while walking to the train. It was a picture of Russell Simmons (of Def insert-urban-activity Jam fame) frolicking with a dog. Ok, he was just sitting there with the dog, but he seemed pretty happy. The tagline said:

CRUEL AIN'T COOL

And it gave some numbers to call if you knew about any animal abuse happening.

Now, I'm a huge fan of animals, and anyone who abuses an animal should be sodomized by a bear. And this psa isn't the worst one I've ever seen on this subject. (We all remember that famous one from the 70's with the tagline: The Fonz says "Only a nerd beats up on a bird. Ayyyyyy!")

That said, is this sort of thing really going to be very effective in stopping anyone from beating up their pet? Yes. Yes, it is. And here's how:

Kid 1: (enters stage left, punching a kitty) Dude, check this out. I'm totally beating the crap out of this kitty.

Kid 2: You sure are, pal. And I have to tell you, it is really cool.

(Both boys see the poster.)

Kid 1: (stops punching kitty) No it isn't. It's not cool at all, apparently.

Kid 2: I agree. I retract my previous statement.

Both: Thank you, poster!
Brought to you by the people who think that if you tell kids not to do something, they'll listen to you.

No comments: