3.07.2005

Humpty Dumpty, indeed.

Ok, I understand that this is a nursery rhyme, and as such is both creepy and incomprehensible to begin with. I understand that we are talking about a being who was sitting on a wall for some reason, fell off of it, shattered completely, and then somebody asked horses to help reassemble him.

The point is, I get that we're already starting in the hole with regard to, you know, making sense.

But what IS Humpty Dumpty? I mean, he's an egg, right? Ok, how do you KNOW that? It's not in the little poem. There's no part that goes, "P.S. This guy we're talking about? Totally an egg. Carry on." Unless I get some hard documentation on this, I'm not believing he was an egg anymore. That was fine when we were children, but we're all growed up now. Let's look ourselves in the eye, just this once, and admit that we have no reason to believe that Humpty Dumpty was an egg.

(Side note: if anybody tells me that this nursery rhyme was some kind of political commentary about the Battle of Agincourt or something, and Humpty Dumpty represented King Edward the Confessor, I'm going to throw up into my mouth a little, and pretend it was just a burp.)

3 comments:

LORMO said...

Not to start a horrible dispute with you that will tear us apart - but, I can remember Humpty being "pictured" as an egg. Clearly drawn with the intention of portraying an egg.

Therefore, you are still correct, the prose does nothing to suggest that Humpty is an egg.

It does suggest that he is very fragile, and the even a bunch of "seemingly" important dudes could not revive him after his great "fall."

But dude really, if you stop and examine every nursery rhyme and how it affected us and out culture, you'd make yerself crazy.

I live in a pumpkin and all I eat is lard. What do you make of that, Mr. Mac?

Jeff Mac said...

Yeah, but who is drawing these pictures, and where are they getting their information? I just don't like being kept in the dark on maybe the most interesting fact about the entire stupid little story.

And re: your lard-eating pumpkin-living lifestyle, I find it to be strangely alluring. What do you pay for rent? Is the pumpkin furnished? And so forth.

Jeff Mac said...

Oh, Ronnie, Ronnie, Ronnie. You just don't get any less weird, do ya?