4.25.2005

BATHROOM SURVEILLANCE

Whenever I'm in a small public bathroom alone, I always act as if I am being filmed. (I've heard stories of such things. You never know.) Further, I act like I'm totally non-chalant about it. I wave to the two-way mirror, wink at the surveillance team. As in, "Yeah, I know what you're doing back there. And I'm not impressed. Doesn't ruffle my tailfeathers*."

The odds of me going into a bathroom that is being watched are not that high. I realize this. And I further realize that if I do walk into a watched bathroom, sure, that's probably when the dude will decide to take his break (Thanks a lot for that confidence booster, by the way, fellas). But if I am ever in such a situation, being filmed without my knowledge or consent, I just like the idea of that surveillor thinking, "Wow, that guy knows I'm back here, and he just doesn't care. Now THAT is one cool customer.**"

Of course, in reality, he would probably go, "Wow…If that guy had any balls, wouldn't he come and kick my ass? Or at the VERY least complain to the manager? What a pussy."

And that, my friends, is how I can never win.


*I realize that using the slang of a 30's gangster's girlfriend probably isn't helping me any. So scram, you. Go take a powder. And also, twenty-three skidoo, if you please.

**Honestly, just shove it. I don't even want to hear it.

4 comments:

miss wendy said...

Hey Jeff, does the work 'paranoia' ring any bells for you?..
NO I am not trying to lull you into a false sense of security so's I can film your bathroom behaviour..
I go to enough effort with the tv remote to avoid 'reality tv' ..
i have just stumbled onto your site.. it's fun.

LORMO said...

Oh don't listen to Miss Wendy, is it? Hello Miss Wendy.

But anyway, don't listen to her, they ARE watching.

And they never take breaks.

That's why I always wear a mu-mu and sunglasses in public restrooms.

Jeff Mac said...

Oh ho HO! Miss Wendy doth protest too much, methinks! Isn't it an interesting "coincidence" that the first post of mine that she "stumbles" across just happens to be the one about how "someone" is spying on me in public bathrooms? Hm. Fascinating.

But seriously, Miss Wendy, thanks for stopping by! (And all the way from...did I read Wagga Wagga in your blog?) Come back anytime - there will be plenty of nonsense forthcoming!

And Lori, I agree with you completely. Right down to the wardrobe. Thank you. No, really, thank you.

sarahfisch said...

Nifty tirade, dollface.