5.16.2005

The Etiquette of Charity

I was walking down Houston Street on Saturday night, and I came across a homeless man sitting on a chair. He did own a chair, which I thought was a nice luxury item for him. On top of everything else, to be on your feet all day must make being homeless a real drag.

Anyway, he was sitting in his chair, just hammered. And around his neck was a small bucket held up by a filthy string. On it was scrawled one word:

TIPS

It raises the question -- what do you tip for absolutely no service whatsoever? Is it like with waitstaff where they factor the gratuity right into the wage? You don't want to stiff the guy. (Not that they don't make out like bandits. Cash only? Are you kidding me? Like they report everything they get!)

I went with 20%. I mean, say what you will but that guy was good. I've had people do nothing for me in the past, but never less than this.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And you got what you paid for...

LORMO said...

Did you ask what kind of tips he was looking for, because maybe he wanted interior decorating tips or some such.

Or in this case, maybe tips on how to get a home.

Or maybe just a new string for his bucket.

miss wendy said...

such a weird concept.. for and Australian as our welfare system is fairly chubby compared to yours I gather... so when people 'beg' here and suggest they are homeless... it's not so easy to take too seriously.. a friend recently returned from Canada told me of the perils that await non employed people there.. shudder.. although our present government is doing their best to bring law and order to this mess!!! We already seem a lot more like the US so you never know.