9.07.2005

Tiny Apartment? Check!

Well, as promised, I have accepted the apartment that I saw yesterday. Well, maybe not accepted. I've still got to go through the the other 4 stages of moving to a very small apartment (denial, anger, bargaining, and going to Ikea.) But I have faith that I'll get there.

In order to fit my life into this quaint/cozy/unique space, I will have to make some adjustments in my lifestyle:
  • I will only be able to have one guest over at a time. Since I'm not that crazy about most people, I think that's not going to be too bad. And it's not as if there's a line to visit me at my current apartment, so I'm probably fine.
  • I will have to have a murphy kitchen and bathroom. Pretty much everything will be folding down from somewhere.
  • My bed will now pull double duty as the stove, and all of that gets stored in the microwave during the day(note to self: doublecheck measurements on that.)
  • I will now convert everything to the metric system. For instance, 200 square feet doesn't sound like much, but how about 185,806.08 square centimeters? I could get lost in that puppy!
  • No puppies.

Other than these minor shifts, I think it's all going to work out just fine!

2 comments:

miss wendy said...

Sounds good, multitasking at every opportunity. I know the feeling .. .. When I moved to my present abode I was a little daunted by the 33sqmtrs available.. I'm not really sure about comparative measurements but it does have aroom with a bed in it as opposed to some places that were'studio' apartments where the bed was also the table- like a caravan without wheels. I had a 'housewarming' where we had to go out!.. ,'specially in Queensland you just can't share space with anyone in summer unless you are in airconditioning or a swimming pool. Anyway I have been very happy here, surprisingly so. When others visit I can see they feel cramped as soon as they walk in but I have discovered the inner wombat in myself and just enjoy my burrow. So, I hope your unit works out as well and hope the relationship ending isn't too difficult.. It seems to bring out the worst in us all. I often mention that there are two things I contribute toward world harmony. 1. I don't make nuclear weapons and 2. I stay single.. (major effort not required!) It's the least one can offer in these troubled times!)

Jeff Mac said...

Oh, Miss Wendy, the "inner wombat" just makes me laugh and laugh. Love it.

Wombats are pretty great in general. I mean, I've never seen one up close and personal (they are extraordinarily rare in Brooklyn) but the pictures I've seen really make me want to own one. But I'll have to be satisfied by emulating one.

Keep on refusing to build nukes. I think that's a great idea, and I plan to start doing that immediately. The second contribution seems to have taken care of itself for the moment. ;)