12.21.2005

Things the Transit Strike has Taught Me

Ok, it's day two of me walking 90 minutes each way to and from work. I've learned a lot of things. Well, not many things. Hardly any things. But I find that if I start telling someone all the things I've learned, I'm generally more than able to BS my way through it. Here we go:
  • 90 minutes is a long time. And it's even longer the second time that day.
  • It's hard to feel bad for the transit workers when one of their complaints is about moving their pension from age 55 to 62. Yeah, uh, I don't get a pension when I'm a hundred and eleven. Cops get a pension because they get shot at. You drive a choo choo. Get back to work before I die of tired.
  • When they tell you that the minimum operating temperature for an iPod is 32 degrees, they actually mean it. There is no Brooklyn Bridge exemption for that rule either. And I, for one, was disappointed. How am I supposed to be jaunty on my way to work when my tuneage cuts out right in the middle of the first act of HMS Pinafore? Uh...I mean...DMX. The first act of DMX Pinafore.
  • If you haven't washed your tub in a long time (or, oh, let's say "ever") you can absolutely still take a bath. If you're tired and footsore enough, you won't mind the water's hue in the least.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just love the phrase, "water's hue." For some reason, that really does it for me. More than your homo-esque Pinafore crap. Gilbert and Sullivan are dead.

Anonymous said...

Aaron -- tell me about it! Imagine how much more convenient it would be living in Alaska!

And Luckydave, don't judge G&S. They live on in all of us.

-mac