5.15.2006

Moving Day!

Well, sort of. I did my first bi-annual moving of the furniture in my new-ish apartment the other day. I like to move my stuff around every once in a while to give me the impression that life is shiny and new. Of course it is -- my bed is way the fuck over HERE now. Yesterday, it was way over THERE. You know, back in the old days when they used to have to hand crank just about everything to get it going. You even had to hand crank water -- not the pump (also a hand crank) but the actual water, itself. That's how primitive it was. Yesterday, I'm saying. When my bed was over there.
 
Here's my dilemma: I can't sleep. My bed is about 4 feet from where it used to be. In fact, if you know anything about my apartment, you'll know that it is also about 4 feet from everything else that I own. So what's the big deal? Why can't I sleep now? I have several theories:
  • The new spot is on a fault line and I, like a dog, can predict that there will be an earthquake in this section of the room.
  • My bed is now directly over an old indian burial ground, and I'm sensing the restless dead beneath me.

  • My sheets are made of iron, and the shift in compass direction is making me nauseous.
  • I have an irrational fear that I will roll over and out of the window.

  • I have an irrational JOY that I will roll over and out of the window, and I can't sleep from all the excitement.

I'm sure that it's either one of these things, or it's something different. That much is clear.

3 comments:

miss wendy said...

Hey Jeff, Off the topic (how unusual) .. but I saw a t shirt today that I sooo liked - it said on it (in writing actually) "Jesus save me from your followers"
well I liked it. W)

sarahfisch said...

Couldn't tell you why, but the phrase "like a dog" made me just about wet my pants.
From laughing, that is.
I don't have a Pavlovian pee-response to dog-mentioning.
Anywhoo, I think it's just RAD that you have dog powers.

Jeff Mac said...

Hey, Miss W! I love that t-shirt. I feel exactly like that t-shirt. I feel as if that t-shirt is my southern hemisphere twin.

And Fisch, I'm glad you appreciate my newfound abilities. I admit that it's a pretty lowgrade superpower, but it's got to be good for a couple of bucks, no?