4.17.2006

Taxes Are Due

Well, your taxes are due by midnight tonight. It's a very stressful time, especially if you make more money than I did last year, I bet. Here are a few last-minute things to remember while you are preparing your taxes:
  1. Before you begin a numbered list of things to tell people, you should really have thought of several items that might GO on such a list. Or even one.
  2. Don't forget to claim your arms and legs as dependents. Where would they be without you? Nowhere, that's where. Frigging ingrates.
  3. Deduct everything. And deduct it FROM everything. It's the only way. I don't really know what I mean.
  4. If you smudge the ink on your tax forms, maybe they will make a mistake and refund all of your taxes! Maybe not, sure, but do you really want to take that chance? I know that I certainly don't want you to. Isn't it worth the fines and jailtime for a chance to do something that I've told you to do?
  5. Always use an accountant, preferably one who is actually an accountant, and not just a kitty with a collar that says "accountant" on it.
  6. When mailing your form, make sure to use standard, regulation mailboxes or post offices. Never simply throw your tax forms into the ocean, even at a moment when you are feeling especially "maily." I'm sure we've all been burned by this one, and it's not worth it.

I hope you are all enjoying our annual "How much do I owe you for those tax cuts for the rich?" ritual, and I hope you all get hammered this evening. Make sure you deduct any money that you spend tonight from your wallet.

3 comments:

Tanya O'Debra said...

What if the kitty is wearing a tie that reads "accountant"?

Anonymous said...

What if it's an accountant wearing a collar that says "kitty"?

Jeff Mac said...

Ladies, I think you're both being silly. Obviously either of your suggestions are perfectly acceptable tax preparers.