4.03.2006

The Logic of the Dress Code

I know I've written about this before but, well, the tie is chafing me somthin' turrible today. And so, being the enlightened being that many of you have no reason to believe that I am not, I will now try to understand why business attire is required in an office.
 
Ok, let's say they lifted the dress code. You still have to do your job and look neat, but you can wear jeans and sneakers and such. Well, if you're wearing sneakers, you might get the urge to run somewhere. And we all know that criminals run places. Sometimes they do it before a crime, sometimes afterwards. Either way, you will have murdered someone. This will make meetings increasingly more difficult to schedule.
 
The jeans will turn you into a cowboy almost immediately. You will leap up on the fax table screaming, "Yeeeeeeeha!!!!" and you'll do a little step dancing. Now, at that point, what if a fax comes in. Everyone in the office will be so busy clapping and dancing and playing fiddles that they might miss that fax entirely. A sobering thought. So jeans are out.
 
And finally, the tie. Well, this one's obvious. If anyone from a rival company challenges you to a duel with fencing foils, your tie-less neck will be that much more vulnerable to injury, making you a serious insurance liability. Also, if you aren't wearing a tie, you might actually spend a moment of your day free of the thought that your job is choking the life out of you.
 
I hope that this has made you all feel much, much better about wearing office attire. Golly, I know it's changed my life forever and ever.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, I've been temping at this law firm for six weeks now. I have three left. Today - day 5 of week 6 - a partner saw my hat. He complained to the head of the department, and she brought it up to the supervisor of this section of that department, and she brought it up to me.

He wants to know if I wear it for religious reasons. I told her to tell him I do. She asked which sect, and I said, "I've worn it religiously for eight years. Say whatever you need to say. I don't take it off in public."

We almost had a teary goodbye. I made it perfectly clear that I'm a temp, and I don't give two s**ts about their dress code. He's up in his office steaming. I might be back in theater before I thought I would. I don't know if I'm excited about this or not.

The funny thing is, I just negotiated a $3/hr raise with the temp agency yesterday. Heh.

Jeff Mac said...

I'm not sure if my comment went through or not, but I have to say, luckydave, I love that they want you to remove the hat...uhhh...well just because, ok? So ridiculous and 8th grade.